Membership Secretary's Mission Statement
Under the direction of the pastor the membership secretary shall keep accurate records of all membership rolls and report regularly to the church council.
Membership rolls shall include; full membership, preparatory membership, Constituency rolls, members removed by charge conference action, baptisms, marriages, deaths, transfers and withdrawal.
The permanent records shall consist of a membership record on an electronic information system.
As we come to the celebration of our 125th year as the congregation of the Morganville United Methodist Church I am reminded of the hymn “Forward Through the Ages.” This hymn tells a story just as our congregation tells a story.
Throughout the 125 years the congregation of the Morganville United Methodist Church has served the Lord. There have been sixty two pastors appointed to minister to the needs of the community of Morganville.
Record keeping was an important requirement of these pastors. According to The Book Of Discipline of the United Methodist Church, Part V, Section IV on Church Membership:
Article 232, Membership record and reports indicates:
“Each local church shall accurately maintain the following membership rolls:
1. Full Membership Roll
2. Preparatory Membership Roll
3. Members Removed by Charge Conference Action
4. Constituency Roll….”
Article 209 indicates:
“The membership of a local United Methodist Church shall include all baptized persons who have come into membership by confession of faith or transfer….”
Article 235 indicates:
“The Membership Secretary shall, under the direction of the pastor, keep accurate records of all membership rolls…shall report regularly to the Administrative Council.”
The original record book dated 1864 which was designed so that there would be uniformity of church record keeping contains marriage records from 1873 to 1883, 1895 to 1906, 1913 to 1915 and 1941 to 1945.
The following ministers used this book to maintain their records and the year which they performed marriages or baptisms:
1873 Rev. J. Garrison of Jacksonville
1873 Rev. A. E. Ballard
1873 Rev. J. R. Manning
1874 Rev. C. D. Mead
1875 Rev. W. W. Moffett assisted by H. A. Clifford
1878 Rev. W. F. Randolph
1882-1883 S. P. Cossaboom 1895 J. L. Howard & J. D. Bills 1895 G. C. Poolton
1897 Henry J. Whalen
1898 C. D. Morris
1901 E. H. Post
1904 Jno. B. Haines Presiding Elder 1906 Alonzo Chambers
1913-1915 George Hamer
1941-1945 Elijah F. Reed
1873 W. S. Jane
1874 C. D. Mead
1878 Rev. W. F. Randolph
1879 Samuel Vansant, Presiding Elder
1879 Rev. W. F. Randolph
1880 Rev. A. Manships assisted by Rev. H. J. Heinenman
1884 Rev. W. W. Moffet
1885, Sept. Rev. Jesse Styles
1885, Dec., June Rev. W. W. Moffett 1886 S. C. Chattin
1888 Geo. W. Pine
1892 Rev. J. L. Roe
1893 James L. Howard
1894 W. P. C. Strickland, Presiding Elder
1896 C. D. Morris
1903-1904 Jno. B. Haines Presiding Elder 1906 Alonzo Chambers
1912-1919 George Hamer
Between 1904 and 1911 there were no records of probationers kept.
In one of the record books a Rev. George F. Smith baptized several members: Leah May Perrine June 17, 1928 and Robert E. Muller on July 8, 1928. The appointed minister to Morganville at this time was F. B. Whitson. He was a supply pastor employed by the District Superintendent to serve Morganville.
Membership Record book number 3 contains records of baptized children, preparatory membership, full membership and when the membership was terminated.
The following ministers used this book:
Geo. F. Smith 1928
Arthur H. Salin 1929
Edward Gebhard 1929
Robert Anderson 1935-1940
Elijah F. Reed 1943
Donald W. Pimm 1944
H. Paul Leap 1946
John B. Kirby, jr. 1948-1950
This pamphlet contains the names of all the baptisms, marriages, preparatory members, dates when joined church membership and when members were removed from the rolls, either by transfer, charge conference or death that are contained in the above records. In some instances the records have been abridged and additional information can be researched in the record books.
Appreciation is extended to all those who have kept the records throughout the years and have made this publication possible. Thank you for your dedication.
Walter H. Jones
Record of Baptisms, Marriages, Deaths, Membership
b., bn. = born
bapt., bpt. = baptized
m. = married
dau. = daughter
RCC = removed by Charge Conference
AM = Associate member
Taken from the available membership record books.Download Full Record
Biography of Ministers
God calls God’s servants into ministry. The following people, who have a connection to the Morganville church, responded to God’s call using their gifts and talents in different ways.
Harry Heyer served as Pastor in many churches in the Southern New Jersey Conference.
Lois Heyer Vincent is a missionary and Wykcliffe Bible Translator in Papua, New Guinea. Richard Izquierdo served for many years as a Minister of Music in Methodist Churches in Ohio, Mississippi and Virginia.
Robert Terhune spent his early life in Morganville before moving to Manasquan. He is a
missionary from the SNJ Conference to Japan.
Robert Moore served with the Peace Corps in South America for a number of years.
REV. J. SWAIN GARRISON (1869-1873)
Rev. J. Swain Garrison was an early minister of the Jacksonville Church. His wife was Julia
L. Garrison. He died Aug. 13, 1940.
REV. AARON EDWARD BALLARD (1869-1873)
Rev. Aaron Edward Ballard entered the ministry in 1844. He was active as a minister for 50
years and died on Nov. 27, 1919 at the age of 98.
REV SOCRATES TOWNSEND HORNER (1873-1874)
Rev. Socrates Townsend Horner was born Dec. 19, 1849 in Auburn, New Jersey. His early
training was directed toward the teaching profession. His ability was so marked that the authorities at Pennington Seminary called him to teach and supervise the Commercial Dept. This capacity he filled for two years, 1876 and 1877 after which he went West to the State of Minnesota where he felt the call of his Lord to preach the everlasting Gospel. He took work in the Minnesota Conference under the presiding elder for four years and decided to come back East, which he did, and joined the Troy conference in 1891. He married Mary Adelia Atkinson, dau. of Abbott and Harriott, on Sept. 3, 1883.
He served in the Troy Conference until 1904 when he was transferred to the New Jersey Conference, where he spent the rest of his life. Upon his retirement in 1911 he made his home in Pitman, New Jersey where he was ever ready to assist the brethren in the work of the kingdom. He was very much interested in the Gloucester County Historical Society of which he was a member.
After the death of his beloved wife in 1928 he made application for a place in the Home for the Aged at Ocean Grove, where he was admitted and privileged to go and come as it pleased him. He was very happy in his stay at the Home, as it gave him many opportunities to see and talk with his brother ministers who visited the Grove.
He had such a combination of the elements of a strong character that to know him was to love and respect him. As he went about his task as an ambassador for his Lord he created such an atmosphere as impressed folks with the thought of the presence of one of God’s elect. If we were to seek a phrase from the literature of the ages to express our thought as to his fitness for life and its responsibilities we should turn to the statement of the Centurion, who, observing the Lord Jesus on the cross, said: “Surely this was a righteous man.”
On Tuesday, Aug. 28, 1934 he folded up his earthly tent and said to the Father, ” I have finished the work thou gavest me to do and now I come to thee.” The Father opened the door of the house of many rooms and he moved in to be forever with his Lord. He was buried in the family plot in the Friendship Cemetery.
REV HARRY A CLIFFORD (1875)
Harry A. Clifford was called to serve the Morganville charge in 1875. He was received into
the conference on trial in 1877 but terminated his connection in 1879 and was located at his own request. When ministers are located they return to some other job besides ministry.
REV SANFORD MORRELL NICHOLS (1883-1886)
Sanford Morrell Nichols was the son of Hosea and Martha Nichols and was born Nov. 3,
1861. He entered the N. J. Conference in 1886. On June 22, 1887 he journeyed to St. Paul, Minn. near which city he married Emma Wells. Sanford died March 31, 1915.
REV SAMUEL C. CHATTIN (1889-1890)
Rev. Samuel C. Chattin was born in New York city, December 5th, 1837. His father soon after
deceased, and the family settled with a relative near Mt. Ephraim, where the youthful years of Bro. Chattin were passed. In early manhood he was soundly converted, and at the age of twenty-two was received in the New Jersey Conference, after serving one year under the Presiding Elder at Indian Mills.
He was a loyal Methodist, believing in a method of daily work according to the plans of Discipline which he both practiced and defended. He preached plain Methodist doctrine as it bore upon the great question of personal salvation, and had no time for genealogies or philosophy falsely so called. The gospel was to him its own interpreter and carried with it its own proofs and certainty. He exhibited its proofs to the people in the souls converted under his ministry, whose lives were read and known of all men and whose experience was attested by the Holy Ghost.
He did not give either time or attention to outside pursuits. He had but one work which was to save souls and improve the conditions of the Church both in its religious experience and its temporalities. His pulpit ministrations were modelled after the simplest forms of logic, easy to understand and apply, While he was not a word painter, his language never failed to convey and impress a meaning.
He was devoted to his home: wife and children were next to God. They were, next to the Holy Spirit, the best gifts God could give him, and he was devoted to their happiness. Nothing in his power was ever too much for them: no sacrifice too great.
In 1903 he became ill from an attack of congestion. His bodily forces were worn by the long months of illness which preceded it, and the tired energies wanted rest and wanted it more than recovery. His faithful physician, Dr. Marshall, said to him: “You do not help me at all; you make no effort to rally,” to which he replied, ” I leave it with the Lord and with you. If He wants me to stay, He, with you, will work it out.” Before he was taken to his bed he recently spoke in his pulpit about what a glory it would be if he could close up this Conference year and go direct from Tuckahoe to Heaven. His faith realized the presence of the angels. He made all necessary arrangements for his temporal affairs with tender and loving farewells for wife and children. He planned the ceremonies for his funeral. After a week’s illness from pulmonary apoplexy he died on Friday, February 20th, 1903 at Tuckahoe, N. J. He entered the “valley of the shadow” in the conscious radiance of God, and is now where his works shall follow him.
REV NATHAN W. WICKARD (1899-1900)
Nathan W. Wickward was born Dec. 9, 1840 at Chairsville, NJ. He was the son of John and Rebecca Wickward. Reared as a farmer boy he became manager of a large farm near Vincentown, at which place he was converted at the age of 16 years, under the preaching of E. H. Duirell. He located at Camden, N.J. and became associated with the work of Eighth St. Church, at which place he felt the call to preach. He was ordained deacon in March, 1886 by Bishop Hurst and ordained elder by Bishop Vincent. He died in 1927 at the age of 87. Interment was made in Harleigh Cemetery, Camden, N.J.
REV. ALONZO CHAMBERS (1906)
Alonzo Chambers was born on July 25, 1848. Converted when but ten years of age, during the
great spiritual awakening of 1858-1859, he traveled for 83 years the path illumined by the light that shineth above the brightness of the noonday sun. He received his education at Pennington Seminary and began preaching in 1869 as a supply preacher while still following the profession of a public school teacher. He joined the Conference in 1884 and served God and the Church as an outstanding evangelistic minister for 29 years. In all his appointments the gospel he preached was so effectively practiced that his ministry challenged the people to turn to God. Every charge was marked by definite revivals of religion and many were won to the Lord. He was a preacher of very rare ability, always evidenced in his exposition of the Scriptures. He excelled in homiletics and exegesis. On Jan. 22, 1942 the end of the journey had been reached and when the keeper of the records scanned the page captioned Alonzo Chambers, he said, “Come ye blessed of My Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world.”
He left five children, William, Milton and E. A. Chambers; Mrs. Sarah Applegate and Mrs. Mary Fenton. A memorial service was held in the Pleasant Plains Methodist Church on Jan. 26, 1942 in charge of A. C. Brady, superintendent of the New Brunswick District. Internment was made in the Toms River Cemetery.
REV. JOHN F. HEILENMAN (1919-1921)
Brother John F. Heilenman was born on August 22, 1841 in Philadelphia, Pa. of German
parentage. At the age of 15 he was happily converted under the ministry of Rev. James Brindle. He was educated in public schools and Terrell Academy. He had a great desire to secure a college education but money was scarce and financial help for students hard to get so he mastered the studies of the Conference course. He then took a correspondence course in Greek from a Boston School. For twenty years he read fifty-two books a year, keeping himself wide awake in gathering and assimilating knowledge in philosophy, science, theology and other studies.
In 1864 he was called as a supply by Rev. Jefferson Lewis to the Jacobstown circuit of the N. J. Conference. He became a full member at the Conference session held in the spring of 1865 at the Green Street Church in Trenton. He married Anna Howell, daughter of Ira and Hannah Howell of Lambertville, in November, 1869. Their daughter, Anna May married George Heller of Bald Eagle Lake, Minn. His first wife died in Trenton on March 13, 1900 during the conference of 1901. She is buried at Lumberton.
In 1902 he married Sarah R. Brown of Matawan who was a very competent and experienced school teacher. She had always been an intelligent and consecrated worker in the church. This was a very happy union in love and service.
He had a very fruitful ministry. Revivals of religion were a common thing with him. Hundreds were converted during his ministry. What a cheerful, laughing, joyful Christian minister he became because he lived near to God and his people. He believed and acted on the belief that all Christians regardless of names and peculiarities constitute the real church of God. So he was at home in the pulpits of the Baptist, Presbyterians, Congregationalist and in fact any evangelical Christian Church. It was a true motto of his life, “Look up and not down; look out and not in; and lend a hand.”
In 1917 they moved into a home they had built for themselves on the banks of Lake Matawan. There they had their vegetable garden, their lovely flowers, and in their house the bright sunlight. It was always a luxury to visit them. Here Brother Heilenman deceased on March 1, 1929 at the age of 87 with 51 years of effective ministry. He passed on in the sure and certain hope of eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.
His funeral service was officiated by his pastor, Edward Mount and the sermon was preached by Edwin F. Hann. He was buried in Rosehill Cemetery, Matawan, N.J.
REV. HARRY C. HYER (1921)
Harry C. Hyer, son of John and Anna, was born March 22, 1890 in Morganville. As a boy he
was deeply religious and at an early age took a great interest in the church. His early religious training was probably at the Baptist Church in Matawan since he transferred his membership from there to the Morganville Methodist Church on January 28, 1912. He married Carrie Harden, dau. of Aaron & Sophia Hess Harden, on April 5, 1913 in Matawan. They lived on Ryers Lane in Matawan. He later became known as Harry C. Heyer. The “E” was inserted to avoid confusion in mail delivery since there was another Hyer living on the same street and mail was being delivered to the wrong house.
He studied steam engineering and after obtaining his license took positions in local industries and eventually began operating the engines of steamboats. He was employed as engineer at various times by the New York & New Jersey Steamboat Company and the Keansburg Steamboat Company. During all this time Harry continued his study of religion with the hope that someday he would be admitted to the ministry.
In 1914 Harry made an application for water for himself and two others on Middlesex Street. The matter was turned over to the Water Department.
Harry conducted the evening services in Matawan on January 26, 1919 because the pastor Dr. John Allen became ill and was not able to fill his pulpit on Sunday. The 1920 and 1921 New Jersey Conference minutes Harry was listed as a local preacher at Matawan, which was part of the New Brunswick District. The Epworth League Service held on February 17, 1921 was under the leadership of Harry. He also preached at Morganville on March 10, 1921 while their pastor Rev. Heilenman was at conference. Due to the severity of the winter months Harry was appointed to be an assistant to Rev. Heilenman during 1921. He was employed by the District Superintendent for 1923, 1924, 1925 as a supply pastor of the Whitesville Church. He was listed in the 1924 Journal as H. C. Hyer. He took a great interest in his church work and lived the life he preached to his congregation. His salary was $1325 and Whitesville had 176 full members in 1923.
The local newspaper lists the following under personals: “On Friday May 4, 1923 Rev. Hyer and his family spent a couple of weeks with relatives in Morganville and Matawan.”
There was a Clan service in the St. John’s church in Hazlet which Harry led in the closing prayer. He was a supply pastor at Highlands for 1926 & 1927. He was then appointed to the West Belmar Methodist Church in 1928 as an undergraduate on trial.
In the 1929 N. J. Conference year book and minutes, on the motion of H. J. Belting, Harry Heyer was discontinued at his own request. During 1930-32 the conference journal classified him as a local preacher living at 28 Middlesex St., Matawan.
He discontinued preaching full time since he was unable to finish a sermon. He became very hoarse. He returned to the sea which he loved. He was an engineer on the excursion steamer and ferry, Observation, when it blew up in September 9, 1932. He was survived by his wife and daughter, Myrtle. He was buried in the Green Grove Cemetery, Keyport.
REV. CARLTON NEWTON NELSON (1926)
Carlton Newton Nelson, a supply pastor served Morganville in 1926. He was born at the West
Creek parsonage on February 2, 1906 and was the son of Rev. Newton Nelson and his wife, Mary. His education was received where his father was appointed. He attended studies at the Pennington School and while there in 1926 served as a supply pastor serving at the Morganville Church according to Conference minutes. In 1927 he was graduated from the Pennington School. This was the beginning of a career that would extend to 51 years of appointments in the New Jersey Conference. The service went beyond that because for an additional five years after retirement, Carlton continued to serve a church as an associate. In 1934 Carlton married Francis Wilhelm.
Until 1937 Carlton was a full time supply pastor. However, after graduation from Temple School of Theology, he became a full conference member in 1940. While serving the church at Wenonah in 1947, Francis died. In her memory and to honor her work with the women of the Conference, the “Frances Nelson Scholarship Fund” was established. This fund, administered by the Conference United Methodist Women, gives financial assistance to girls who enter Christian service careers.
On February 12, 1949 Carlton married Dorothy Chynoweth of South Vineland at the South Vineland Church. A son, Carlton, Jr., was born on October 25, 1952.
It is hard to find a man who had more friends than Carlton. He was a warm friend whose love of people was the hallmark of his life. He created an atmosphere of good humor and general camaraderie. As a pastor, Carlton had energy that was endless. He was a devoted pastor. There were no “hours” posted on his door, but simply, “Welcome, come right in.” He possessed a deep understanding of people; as a counsellor and a person he was compassionate at all times.
Beyond the bounds of his parish he served with effectiveness as a member of the Statistician’s Staff for 40 years. The last eight, he was the Conference Statistician. He was the first director of Junior Camp at the Conference Center. His tenure lasted for eight years. For 14 years, he was Chaplain at the Nantico School for Boys at the State Training School in Vineland and also for the Odd Fellows Home and the Mercer Hospital in Trenton. He served as the Chaplain for the Volunteer Fire Companies of South Vineland and Berlin and was elected to the office of Chaplain of the Trenton City Fire Department.
Carlton died Feb. 13, 1982. Memorial Services were held in the South Vineland Church on February 16, 1982 lead by the District Superintendent Dr. Robert R. Smyth assisted by the Church pastor, the Rev. W. Benjamin Eppinger and the Rev. Frank Smith. The Memorial Address was given by the Rev. David A. Wilson, Jr. Burial was in Bridgeton Cemetery.
REV. ROBERT ALEXANDER ANDERSON (1931-1939)
Rev. Robert Alexander Anderson was born Oct. 10, 1896 in Bluefield, W.Va. His father was deceased at the time of his son’s birth. His mother’s name was Pearl Moore Anderson. Bob attended schools in West Virginia and Asbury College in Wilmore, Kentucky. Later he attended Princeton and Columbia Universities.
During World War I he enlisted in the U. S. Navy crossing the Atlantic 16 times on the troop transport U.S.S. Madawaska. While attending Asbury, he met his wife Ruth Stevens Williams. They were married in Starr City, Arkansas on Oct. 18, 1922. He transferred from the Indiana Conference in 1922 as a supply pastor and admitted into the New Jersey Conference in 1924. He was ordained Deacon by Bishop Edwin Holt Hughes in Atlantic City in 1926 and elder by Bishop Joseph F. Berry in 1928. He was appointed to serve the Morganville community from 1931-1939. His two children were Ruth Alice and Robert A. Jr.
Rev. Anderson was a chaplain in the U. S. Naval Reserves in 1942 and appointed Lieutenant, retiring in 1946 as Lt. Commander. Following his naval duties, he preached and taught at Arkansas College for five years before returning to the active pastorate at Neptune City, the last church he served before retiring in 1962 to Farmington, Missouri.
He died on September 18, 1990 at the age of 93 years, 11 months and 8 days. He is buried at Oakland Cemetery, Russelville, Arkansas.
REV. ELIJAH FREEMAN REED (1940-1943)
Brother Elijah Freeman Reed was the son of William H. and Melinda V. Reed and was born
February 25, 1875 at Osborneville, N. J. He attended Pennington Seminary in preparation for his Christian ministry and entered the N. J. Conference in 1898 serving the Herbertsville church. He had the unusual distinction of having served all of his ministry on the New Brunswick District. He married Elizabeth H. Maps, daughter of Samuel T. and Sarah A. Maps on November 9, 1898 in Long Branch, N.J.
He moved to St. Petersburg, Florida where he and his wife found much joy in the fellowship and service which they could render to the church.
His translation to the Heavenly Home came on May 21, 1951 after a brief illness. He was buried at Osborneville, N.J.
REV. WILLIAM BESAND MAGSAM (1950-1955)
The Rev. William Besand Magsam, son of George and Margaret Magsam, was born
December 15, 1884 in Salem, New Jersey. He began his ministry of fifty years with the Lower Bank Circuit in 1907. He married Thelma Florence Worth, dau. of Charles and Mary Worth on January 1, 1921. In the 1929 Conference Journal he is listed as an ordained deacon and Local Preacher. He was an Elder in the New Jersey Conference in 1933.
Bill was a member of the Masonic Grand Lodge, the Ancient Accepted Scottish Rite Valley of Trenton #2353 and the Crescent Temple. He was a member of the Fire Department in every community where he had served.
Bill was known for his wit. He told of giving the committal in a certain cemetery, when suddenly the ground under him began to quiver, and both he and the undertaker slid down into the grave and sprawled on top of the casket. Most of all, Bill knew and loved the Savior.
In 1950 at the age 66, he served Fair Haven and Morganville as an accepted supply pastor. In 1951 he became an approved supply pastor and then the following year appointed as a full time Lay Pastor until 1955. After retirement in 1957, Bill lived in Bayville for twenty years.
His wife, Thelma Worth Magsam died in October 31, 1963 at the age of 69 and is buried at Bayview cemetery, Bayview, N. J. He died April 25, 1980 at the Pitman Manor United methodist Home, Pitman, N.J. where he had been a resident for three years. He was listed in the Conference Journal as a full time Local Preacher.
He was survived by a brother, George D. of Pennsville, N. J. and a sister Lena Z. Magsam of Salem, N. J. The funeral service was conducted from the Trinity United Methodist Church in Bayville by the Rev. Howard L. Cassady, assisted by the Rev. E. Emanual Burkman, who preached on the text, “I have fought a good fight,” II Timothy 4:7. Interment was in the Bayville Cemetery.